The year 2016 marks what would have been the late Forrest J Ackerman's 100th Birthday. Famous Monsters and its comic book publishing imprint, American Gothic Press (AGP), are celebrating Forry's centennial with an original hardcover anthology called TALES FROM THE ACKER-MANSION, to be released in October at our ALIEN CON event in Silicon Valley, CA!
But Forry's legacy extends far beyond the realm of Famous Monsters magazine. Uncle Forry, as many called him, was a compassionate collector of memorabilia, and allowed all manners of people to visit his home and share his love of imagination. He was the very first cosplayer when he wore a Spaceman costume from THINGS TO COME to the 1939 World Science Fiction convention. He encouraged fandom and a love for science fiction by serving as literary agent to many of the genre greats, including Ray Bradbury and L. Ron Hubbard. He's even credited for inventing the term "Sci-Fi".
Through his fostering of fan interaction and genre enthusiasm, Forry became the virtual godfather of current cultural geekery. Your conventions, cosplay clubs, anime news networks, and gaming tournaments all owe something to Forrest J Ackerman.
Above all, Forry appreciated good storytelling and the skills it takes to create good stories, whether that be tacking hair onto a werewolf or staying up past midnight with a pen in your hand. And to that end, we bring you TALES FROM THE ACKER-MANSION, a collection of comic stories and art pieces from contributors around the world that we feel Forry would have been proud of.
But that only scratches the surface! Also included in this massive hardcover:
- An apocalyptic monster truck comic from creator Cullen Bunn (HARROW COUNTY) and artist Drew Moss (TERRIBLE LIZARD)
- A painted robot tale from comics writer and artist Ray Fawkes (CONSTANTINE)
- A cannibal story in the style of old Creepy and Eerie from HELLRAISER: BESTIARY's Ben Meares and Christian Francis
- Stories by FM Editor David Weiner and AGP Editor Holly Interlandi
- An unconventional coming-of-age story by reknowned fantasy author Nancy Kilpatrick, illustrated by Drew Rausch (EDWARD SCISSORHANDS)
- A Golden Age noir-style romp from Victor Gischler (X-MEN)
- A Sci-Fi alien saga by Trevor Goring (WATERLOO SUNSET)
- A legend about lethal knitting needles from Travis Williams and Jonathan La Mantia
- Art pinups by many Famous Monsters cover artists
- And more!
Check out the full Kickstarter info and detailshere and help support this awesome project.