Godzilla And Godzilla Raids Again Paperback
by Shigeru Kayama (Author), Jeffrey Angles (Translator)
The first English translations of the original novellas about the iconic kaijū Godzilla
Godzilla emerged from the sea to devastate Tokyo in the now-classic 1954 film, produced by Tōhō Studios and directed by Ishirō Honda, creating a global sensation and launching one of the world’s most successful movie and media franchises. Awakened and transformed by nuclear weapons testing, Godzilla serves as a terrifying metaphor for humanity’s shortsighted destructiveness: this was the intent of Shigeru Kayama, the science fiction writer who drafted the 1954 original film and its first sequel and, in 1955, published these novellas.
Although the Godzilla films have been analyzed in detail by cultural historians, film scholars, and generations of fans, Kayama’s two Godzilla novellas—both classics of Japanese young-adult science fiction—have never been available in English. This book finally provides English-speaking fans and critics the original texts with these first-ever English-language translations of Godzilla and Godzilla Raids Again. The novellas reveal valuable insights into Kayama’s vision for the Godzilla story, feature plots that differ from those of the films, and clearly display the author’s strong antinuclear, proenvironmental convictions.
Kayama’s fiction depicts Godzilla as engaging in guerrilla-style warfare against humanity, which has allowed the destruction of the natural world through its irresponsible, immoral perversion of science. As human activity continues to cause mass extinctions and rapid climatic change, Godzilla provides a fable for the Anthropocene, powerfully reminding us that nature will fight back against humanity’s onslaught in unpredictable and devastating ways.
About the Author
Shigeru Kayama (1904–1975) was a science fiction writer and scenarist whose early stories about monsters and mutated sea creatures attracted the attention of Tōhō Studios, who asked him to draft the first two Godzilla films. The film Half Human by Tōhō Studios was also based on one of his stories, and he contributed to the screenplay for the Tōhō film The Mysterians.
Jeffrey Angles is professor of Japanese at Western Michigan University. He is author of Writing the Love of Boys (Minnesota, 2011) and award-winning translator of Orikuchi Shinobu’s The Book of the Dead (Minnesota, 2017) and Hiromi Ito’s The Thorn Puller.
Publisher: University Of Minnesota Press
Paperback: 256 pages
Release date: October 3, 2023
Price: $19.95 (Paperback and Kindle)
Check out the giveaway details below.
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES AND INFORMATION
1. The prize (one book) will be shipped to the contest winner so entrants must include a valid mailing address. This contest is only open to participants in the United States and Canada.
2. In the event the winner chooses not to (or cannot) accept a prize, he or she forfeits all claim to that prize, and a new winner will be chosen.
3. One entry per person. Prizes are non-transferable. No substitution of prizes allowed.
Duration of contests:
The Godzilla And Godzilla Raids Again Paperback Giveaway runs from Sept 23 until 11:59 PM on Sept 30, 2023.
How to enter:
1. Submit your name, email address, and mailing address for the random drawing.
2. Be sure to write “Godzilla And Godzilla Raids Again Paperback Giveaway” in the subject line of your email entry. Kaiju Battle maybe running multiple giveaways, so any entries without “Godzilla And Godzilla Raids Again Paperback Giveaway” in the subject header will be discarded.
Determination of winner:
1. Only contestants who have submitted the requested information will be entered in the final drawing, and will be randomly drawn from the eligible entries to determine the winner for this contest.
2. Kaiju Battle is not responsible for typographical, electronic or other errors that will affect the offering, outcome, administration of the contest or the announcement of prize. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
3. The decision of Kaiju Battle is final. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of the Kaiju Battle judge, which are final and binding in all respects.
4. The winner will be notified via email.
Just email the following info
“Godzilla And Godzilla Raids Again Paperback Giveaway”
to firstname.lastname@example.org (please do not use the contact link on the site) and you’re in the giveaway. Good luck!
About the Press
The University of Minnesota Press is recognized internationally for its innovative, boundary-breaking editorial program in the humanities and social sciences and as publisher of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), the most widely used objective tests of personality in the world. Minnesota also maintains as part of its mission a strong commitment to publishing books on the people, history, and natural environment of Minnesota and the Upper Midwest. Established in 1925, Minnesota is among the founding members of the Association of University Presses (AUP).